Sunday, March 14, 2010

John Adler's departure

from the Accuray Yahoo MB:

While I don't have inside info on what went on with Adler in the ARAY boardroom (and doubt few on this board do), I have spoken to him at Users Meetings, listened to his lectures, and presented cases to him on the CK Society's MD forum. He is well-respected by surgeons and rad oncs, and extremely knowledgable about not only cranial radiosurgery (where he is one of the leading contributors in the field) but extracranial as well. I'm hard pressed to think of a physician more expert on CK literature or applications. He is a great advocate for the potential of SRS in general and CK in particular, but will tell a patient or doc when surgery is better in a given situation. I know neurosurgeons who were considering a radiosurgery device for their clinic that he has travelled to see and promote CK. It is inaccurate to describe him as a figurehead whose last good idea was 17 years ago.

Adler is a physician, not an engineer, physicist, or software designer. (I'm sure VAR has some of those who used to work for ARAY.) I'm not worried that VAR will design a LINAC on a robotic arm, as that is a completely different paradigm than their current machines. But I can't see Adler's departure as anything but a huge blow to ARAY. Who is the lead MD now in the company who can credibly promote CK to the medical community? (Don't tell me that short thoracic surgeon whose name I'm blanking on.) I can't conceive of any reason why Alder would be threatened with a lawsuit and run out of ARAY by management, other than because he objected to them enriching themselves at the expense of the company and shareholders.

No comments: