Saturday, May 15, 2010

unhappy customer

from Web Hosting Talk:

>>Do NOT trust Internap

On the night of April 28th the 365Main facility in Chandler, AZ lost power to 2 data floors. That is about 20,000-30,000 sq feet of colo space that went down. The downtime lasted for over 10 minutes. I should mention that my contract with Internap specifically says a 100% power uptime SLA. Not 4 9's, not 5 9's, 100%. It was later determined to be human error that caused the facility to go dark, but that's not my problem.

...

The moral of this story is that every single person at Internap that I have mentioned is unhelpful, unresponsive, and leaves much to be desired in terms of customer satisfaction.

The impression that I get from these Directors and VP's is that of arrogance. They can't be bothered to return voicemails from unhappy customers, or answer emails providing status updates. How dare a lowly customer speak to them when they have peons below them to handle us worthless customers.

Hopefully my story will drive as many sales away from Internap as possible. I can only hope that no one else has to deal with the customer dis-service that is Internap.

-----

With one contract exception, I've generally had a good experience with Internap. But I agree that their customer service overall has declined somewhat in the last year or two, probably because of the cost cutting they've had to do to turn the company around. And I don't typically work with on things like billing disputes, and that's generally the weakest link in many companies; perhaps my perception would be worse if I had to deal with those issues like you.

...

And while I wish you luck (and you'll probably need it, as Internap is not some small mom-and-pop shop that lets people out of contracts willy-nilly), I'm not aware of any company that's going to let you out of a contract for 10 minutes of downtime.

-----

We were with Internap from 2002-2009.

Internap offers a great product with exceptional stability and engineering support, but their billing/account support functions are not very efficient (that's putting it nicely). We've had billing/contract/order issues that took a year to resolve. Yes, they can be THAT slow. You have to understand going in that their business model is built around providing service to large enterprises, and unless you're spending a minimum of $10K/month, you're really not that important to them. Maybe the number is $100K/month, who knows. I suspect we were one of their smallest colo accounts (period), so my service expectations were set accordingly. But anyway, for better or worse that's the bottom line as to why you don't get much love when you contact them.

...

No comments: