Saturday, July 19, 2008

Comparing Switch & Data to Internap?

3d from Web Hosting Talk:

>>I'm in the final stages of bidding on a 10-rack cage, it's come between Internap and Switch & Data.


I know the good about hosting with both of them. Who can tell me the bad?


Please, don't email me telling me about your datacenter, because I'm not looking at any other providers this late in the game.

__________________
Michael T. Halligan | www.bitpusher.com | datacenterjunkie blog
Managed Colocation |Managed Application Hosting | 888-978-7437
----

With Switch & Data you will need to interconnect with the carriers you choose and will most likely need to cover the cross-connect fees to connect to said carriers. With InterNAP or any non-neutral carrier, you still may be subject to a cross-connect fee, but you'll be locked in to using their bandwidth exclusively. Find out if you'll be able to order additional cross-connects from InterNAP as this will give you some options down the line.

Your comment about 'this late in the game' seems to indicate some lack of planning as these differences should have been made clear to you earlier on. Perhaps that may have swayed your decisions already.


Good Luck

__________________
James Cornman -
---

It is possible to bring other carriers into (some) Internap facilities.

Internap is charging for cross-connects now, even in Internap facilities.

All things being equal, I would take Internap just about every time. This despite having our rates jacked up considerably recently.
---

I'm actually in two other Internap facilities right now, and it's never been a problem bringing in other carriers that are live in the building. The Seattle Internap building itself has 5 other carriers on-net, plus a reasonable cross-connect fee to get onto Sabey's Fiber network, which gets me to their meetmeroom, and their other Seattle area buildings.

Ignoring the rude post above the one I'm actually replying to, how is this different from any other facility? Every carrier-netural facility charges cross-connect fees to connect to other providers.
__________________
Michael T. Halligan | www.bitpusher.com | datacenterjunkie blog
---

Switch & Data is.. well a datacenter company with zero work with IP transit.

Internap.. is well a IP transit company that dabbles into datacenter space.

With that being said. Why not go to a switch & data building and get internap transit? That is if they are on-net in a switch & data facility near you.

__________________
Yellow Fiber Networks
---

Thanks for all the suggestions on bandwidth but I'm covered, really I am. I can get the same 5 providers I want at Switch & Data or at Internap. What I'm trying to find is people's anecdotal experiences with how these companies manage their presences at non-equinix facilities. I'm more interested in customer experience, how they manage power incidents, and how reliable their power plants have been over-all.
__________________
Michael T. Halligan | www.bitpusher.com | datacenterjunkie blog
---

I think most of these answers are going to be very dependent on the location...which ones are you looking at?

If you're already a customer of Internap, you already know they have a great NOC, probably the best in the business (at least in my experience). I've been through a power outage while leasing colo space / transit with Internap, but at an Equinix facility. If anything, I would think that dealing direct with Internap for datacenter related issues might be better, as there are definitely some issues at times going through the customer -> Internap -> Equinix hierarchy to get things done.

Is Internap just selling you space without their IP transit? I was under the impression they didn't do that, but things may have changed and maybe they got some extra space to move.

---

I'm not going to guide you based on the NOC's or anything else, more of business aspect -

1) INAP Colo marketing is guided to raise their revenues year over year, but they have had a little misguided focus on getting their revenue more based on existing base vs. getting more inventory to sell. They don't offer SAS70 options - except thru 365 Main locations. (think the highest power density I have heard from this group is about 150 watts per ft)

2) S & D - more than likely can support higher densities (this based on information they provided the street that they were building HPD above and beyond the normals of 100 W / 150 W per ft.) they also could bring the optional SAS70 cert - but could be wrong on that, been a while since I talked with a rep over there.

(2) decent companies - good luck with your purchase - I would do a 60 mo term and make them get aggressive rates - Also - HAVE THEM LOCK IN THE POWER RATES it is only going to get more expensive on this part of the business plan.

But - without you providing which sites you are considering - I could not give you clarity on which one - just more of an overall perspective....

No comments: